November is Pancreatic cancer awareness month
November is Pancreatic cancer awareness month. Did you know that Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer related death in the US?
Here are some more facts about Pancreatic cancer:
- 94% of people with pancreatic cancer will die within 5 years of being diagnosed.
- Only 7 % will survive more than five years.
- About 48,960 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this year in the US.
Here are some risk factors for developing pancreatic cancer:
- being a tobacco smoker
- being overweight
- having a family history of pancreatic cancer
- having diabetes
- having chronic pancreatitis (chronic inflammation of the pancreas)
- having cirrhosis of the liver
- stomach problems
- being obese
- working in a workplace that causes exposure to dyes, chemicals or pesticides
*Please note that having one or more risk factors doesn’t mean that you will develop pancreatic cancer, it just means that you have a possible higher chance. Some people have pancreatic cancer without any of the above mentioned factors.
Here are some signs of pancreatic cancer:
If you have any symptoms of pancreatic cancer, please consult your physician.